Friday, November 9, 2007

a convo between Marcella and I, and hopefully you

MVM wrote:
a great deal of what this project is about for me is the collaborative
nature of contemporary art. I really don't think much art is made by
the singular isolated genius. I'm not sure it ever was. I think art,
like entertainment and love and most other human activities is created
collaboratively. It is created by the artist and her crew and her
friends; it is created with input from gallerists and curators and
collectors. That's a broad definition of collaboratively, I know. But
for me at the very least, making is an act of sharing, not just a
finished product, but the whole process. This work is a film and a
construction, and like most films and constructions it is people
working together.

None of which is to say that this is a completely collective act.
Clearly it's not. It's a project The MVM dreamt up and began
recruiting people to participate in. Ultimately I am responsible and
will make the decisions. But I don't and would never want to make
those decisions in a vacuum. My best work is like my best music, it is
me and my partners creating together. In some bands I'm the leader, in
some the follower, but in all the good bands, we're making music
together.

Okay, so this is really borderline creepy, I know. But it's not just
all the theory. I really do think the best work is work made as part
of a community. And I also believe the art world, and in this it's not
alone, clings to an idea of sole authorship that is often illegitimate
and dishonest.

All of which is to say, please feel free to offer suggestions,
criticisms etc. And any advice you have time to offer about what the
website could become, please feel free to share.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are creepy

November 9, 2007 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger !N! said...

really?

is it bullshit? hippy? lame? you don't think it's true that
collaboration is a large part of art?

November 9, 2007 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it depends on what kind of art.
i do know a lot of ppl that don't collaborate with anyone.
they seem to sell a lot.
but then u have Harell where every little bit he can suck away from someone,albeit in a smart way, he will.
he's like an american corporation.
what do i know?

November 9, 2007 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger !N! said...

Really?

I guess I see the term collaboration as being much broader than normal. I think people like Leslie collaborate. She hired you, for instance. And I very much doubt her work isn't deeply affected by Hanley and collectors. And friends and David.
It's not collectivity, it's not produced by a group at every level.

But it is not produced alone, either. And I think that kind of work is still collaborative. I think her relationship to collectors and gallerist and other artists and her assistants plays a large role in her work.

Although it sounded creepy last night, I don't see this as pie in the sky. I see it as, in part, recognizing the business side of art.

Recognizing that it is a market. I don't think very many big name
artists are lone geniuses. I think they are deeply immersed in
commercial and creative communities. And their work is deeply influenced by those communities.

Maybe not?

November 9, 2007 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good points. i think that makes sense.

November 9, 2007 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home